Its time for a new shingle roof. Your roof is at the end of its life cycle, or an inspection has identified problems including leaks. The cost of replacing a roof is a major homeowner investment in their property. Can you cut that cost and save dollars by laying new shingles over the existing ones? One must consider several factors before deciding. Therefore, you should have a complete, professional inspection of your roof done by a certified roofer, like Astro Roofing, prior to any decision being made. This inspection report will explain why your roof is or is not up for reroofing.
Re-Roofing points to keep in mind:
- The most obvious benefit is convenience and lower cost. The disruption to your home life is less as the job takes less time to complete. If your shingles are not curling, missing, or losing granules you should discuss this with your roofer. It still may not be the best course of action.
- If you are renovating or redesigning your home, reroofing can be a good option to change the color or shape of the shingles so that the roof matches the new style of the home. Again, your local roofing company will know if this is a good idea.
- A complete tear off roofing job costs more than an overlay. However, with a complete roof tear off, every part of your roofing will be replaced with new material that is newly engineered and up to date. New shingles might even save you some energy costs. Keep in mind that this added cost ensures that any issues with decking, underlayment, mold/rot, and leaks will be found and repaired.
- Do not mix roofing materials as you are asking for major problems.
- It may not look as good as a completely new roof. Old or damaged shingles provide a substandard base for new shingles, so your new roof could look flawed.
- Another layer of shingles makes it harder to track down the source of any problems that develop. If a leak forms, the water will move through both layers of shingles, making it very difficult to trace its path.
- Shingles are designed for flat surfaces. They do not do a good job of spanning over gaps or humps. Curled shingles are the most common cause of this and can cause major future problems.
- Can your home’s roof support the weight? The shingles needed to cover a typical 2000 square foot roof can weigh in around 5000 pounds. The underlying structure of your roof must be able to support another layer before installing over your existing roof.
- You need to verify if the local building code allows a second layer of shingles to be installed. Astro Roofing, your top rated roofing company, will know for sure.
- If you are planning to sell your home, will the reroof have an impact on the home inspection results and the new buyers? Talk to a realtor to be sure.
- Make sure you understand and assess if there is any impact to warranties, especially from the shingle manufacturer. The Astro team roofer near you can walk you through this.
The process of installing new shingles over a set of present shingles can only be done once, so your home’s roof needs to be properly inspected before making this major decision, especially if your roof is in good shape with no severe water damage.
It really is critical that you have a qualified roofer working with you on this decision. Our company, Astro Roofing Inc., is a best rated roofing company with over 35 years’ experience. We provide affordable roofing in Volusia, Flagler, Brevard, Seminole, and St. John’s Counties. We are a Florida State Certified Roofing Contractor License #CCC037005, and fully insured. Astro is a SELECT CertainTeed ShingleMaster™. If you are looking for the best roof company, then contact us at 386-760-8933 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.